Author Topic: Newbie needs some hints  (Read 943 times)

Offline GM.Brad

• View Profile
Re: Newbie needs some hints
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 07:10:07 pm »
Running something is more time consuming than not with 3.x, because of all the optional material. I find it easier to create a storyline build from the top down, i.e. start with digging into the rules grasping how characters are built, then how magic works, then how monsters are built, finishing up with the minutia of additional and optional rules that may apply to the genre and/or flavor I am trying to work in.

I would suggest read through the Ml20 rules pdf and the 3.x SRD for fantasy pdf and do a cross ref on items that are not quite clear between the two. I find in doing a comparison study you can then define what rules you want to use and how well they will work with the storyline you are trying write.

Offline randalls

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie needs some hints
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 07:31:30 pm »
Pure Microlite20 is just a much less complex version of 3.x. Most GM advice for 3.x is good advice foe Microlite20. You don't mention if you have any experience with non-D20 RPGs, if you do, that may be enough to go on by itself -- depending, of course, on what systems you have experience with.

There are versions of Microlite20 that are more complete , but those versions aren't really "microlite" -- although in many cases the rules still boil down to just a few pages.

Offline H-Dog

• View Profile
Newbie needs some hints
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 10:26:52 pm »
I have no real experience with d20 gaming and none with MicroLite20, but I know that it is something I want to try. I've been unable to get into any groups, but was hoping to start a MicroLite group.

Is it totally silly to try and jump into DMing in MicroLite20 with as little experience as I have? Are there pages or guides for someone like me trying to cut my teeth on MicroLite20?

Cancer Fund Donations

Support Microlite75 development as well as Microlite74, Microlite78, Microlite81, and this site with a donation to the Retro-Roleplaying Cancer Fund.

Your donations help pay medical bills, get you early access to drafts of RetroRoleplaying.com games like Microlite81 Complete and Fantastic Adventures and give you access to these donor-only PDFs:

- Grimoire Fanzine #1 (1978)
- Grimoire Fanzine #2 (1979)
- Hidden Valley House Rules (1984)
- Fourth Campaign Arn Player Info Packet (1984)
- M74 2.0 Special Edition
- M74 3.0 Extended Special Edition (3 digest volumes)
- M74 3.0 Perilous Adventures

Obtain copies of these (and more) for a donation to help pay our cancer-related bills. Donate $25 or more and you will be listed as a sponsor in Microlite81 Complete game.

Microlite75 Sponsors

RPGNow.com