Looking for the Free Microlite20/7x/8x/2020 Rules Downloads?

There are well over 100 free downloads of rules (and more) for Microlite20, Microlite2020, Microlite7x, Microlite 81, and their many variants in the Game Download Library area below. These files can be downloaded without creating a membership on this site.

Update (19 Jun 23):

As I mentioned many weeks ago, maintaining the seldom used Wordpress side of this site became too much of a bother, especially as parts of Wordpress are constantly updating and some those updates break things -- like access to this forum. I'm finally had time to remove it. The forum should stop disappearing from view now.

As many of you know, my wife has had MS for about 20 years now. It has gotten to the stage where helping her takes a lot more of my time that it used to. This means visits to this board have become few and far between. I'm looking for a couple of members willing to help moderate this board. Note that if your idea of good moderation is anything similar the way boards like RPG.net are moderated, do not bother volunteering. Good moderation isn't about forcing your opinions, ideological positions, or biases on members via your power to gag and ban, it is about being helpful to all members (even those you don't like/disagree with), cleaning up after spammers, and enforcing the rules with the lightest hand possible and only doing so when the rules are actually broken. If you are interested in any message board moderation position on any board because of the supposed "power" it will give you, you are (IMHO) the wrong person for the job. If you are interested, PM me. It may taken quite a while to reply, unfortunately.

Thoughts for Science Fiction

Description: Character class design question

A place to share your rules-lite RPG ideas and designs.

Snorb

Thoughts for Science Fiction

Post by Snorb »

Having some trouble thinking of a way to do classes for a sci-fi variant of m20.

What I was thinking of was along these lines:

• You have a base class (soldier, scoundrel, scout, or scholar). These give you your base class functionality and choices for your character's abilities at every odd level.
  • You have a focus (ace pilot, assassin, bounty hunter, elite soldier, gunslinger, and so forth). You choose a focus at second level; they give you a bonus at every even level.

As far as math goes:

• You have a base attack bonus, just like in Third Edition.
  • You have Fortitude, Reflex, and Will saving throws; these are your appropriate stat (Str, Dex, or Int) plus your character level.
  • The difficulty for almost any task in this game is 15. Attacking someone is one of the very few exceptions.
  • All of your skills start at +1; humans gain a +1 bonus to all six skills.
  • When you gain a level, your class skill automatically increases by +1. Two other skills (your choice) increase by +1 each.

As an example for character class:

Soldier
Hit Points at 1st level: 10 + Str
Hit Points at Additional Levels: 6 + Str
Class Skill: Physical (You gain a one-time +3 bonus to the Physical skill. This is a class bonus.)

LevelBase Attack BonusClass Features
1+1Combat Boost, Soldier Talent
2+2Focus Ability
3+3Soldier Talent
4+4Focus Ability
5+5Soldier Talent
6+6Focus Ability
7+7Soldier Talent
8+8Focus Ability
9+9Soldier Talent
10+10Focus Ability

Combat Boost
You gain a +1 bonus on attack rolls and weapon damage. This bonus increases by +1 at 4th, 7th, and 10th levels.

Soldier Talent
At 1st level and every odd level afterward (3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th) choose a soldier talent from the list below.

(SOLDIER TALENT LIST: FILL IN LATER. Soldier talents are typically related to combat tactics and getting the most out of fighting.)

Focus Ability
At 2nd level, choose a character focus. You gain its associated bonuses at every even level (2nd, 4th, 6th, 8th, 10th.)

Appropriate choices for a soldier's focus are Ace Pilot, Bounty Hunter, Elite Soldier, Gunslinger, or Saboteur, but, of course, you may choose from any of the focuses.

And as an example character focus:

Ace Pilot

Flavor text goes here; suffice it to say that soldiers with this focus might be ex-military, while scoundrels might be smugglers. Come up with examples for scouts and, I guess, scholars.

LevelFocus Ability
2Vehicle Defense +1
4Vehicle Defense +2
6Vehicle Defense +3
8Vehicle Defense +4
10Vehicle Defense +5

Vehicle Defense
You gain a bonus to the Piloting skill equal to half your character level. This is a focus bonus.

In addition, any space vessel you are piloting gains a Defense bonus equal to half your character level. This is a focus bonus.

Does this sound overly complicated to anyone?

0 x

I wrote stuff:
The ArrrPG - A game about pirates.
Nakama: A Game of Magical Girls - A game about being Sailor Moon ripoffs PARODIES.
Intervigilum - A PbtA-ish game about being knights against the Dark.

randalls
Site Admin

Re: Thoughts for Science Fiction

Post by randalls »

Snorb wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:39 pm

Having some trouble thinking of a way to do classes for a sci-fi variant of m20.

What I was thinking of was along these lines:

• You have a base class (soldier, scoundrel, scout, or scholar). These give you your base class functionality and choices for your character's abilities at every odd level.
  • You have a focus (ace pilot, assassin, bounty hunter, elite soldier, gunslinger, and so forth). You choose a focus at second level; they give you a bonus at every even level.

This looks like it should work. The issue I see would be coming up with enough talents for all these classes and focuses. Especially if you want to make them so they aren't bad 3.x-like feats (lock people that do not have them from doing something any reasonable person should have a fair chance at trying and doing even without special training).

Does this sound overly complicated to anyone?

To me, it sounds like it could work.

0 x

RandallS
Playing and Gamemastering Tabletop RPGs Since 1975
Designer: Microlite74, Microlite75, Microlite78, Microlite81, Microlite20 OSS, and others
Compiler: The Microlite20 RPG Collection
Administrator: Rules Light RPGs