Looking for the Free Microlite20/7x/8x/2020 Rules Downloads?

There are well over 100 free downloads of rules (and more) for Microlite20, Microlite2020, Microlite7x, Microlite 81, and their many variants in the Game Download Library area below. These files can be downloaded without creating a membership on this site.

Update (19 Jun 23):

As I mentioned many weeks ago, maintaining the seldom used Wordpress side of this site became too much of a bother, especially as parts of Wordpress are constantly updating and some those updates break things -- like access to this forum. I'm finally had time to remove it. The forum should stop disappearing from view now.

As many of you know, my wife has had MS for about 20 years now. It has gotten to the stage where helping her takes a lot more of my time that it used to. This means visits to this board have become few and far between. I'm looking for a couple of members willing to help moderate this board. Note that if your idea of good moderation is anything similar the way boards like RPG.net are moderated, do not bother volunteering. Good moderation isn't about forcing your opinions, ideological positions, or biases on members via your power to gag and ban, it is about being helpful to all members (even those you don't like/disagree with), cleaning up after spammers, and enforcing the rules with the lightest hand possible and only doing so when the rules are actually broken. If you are interested in any message board moderation position on any board because of the supposed "power" it will give you, you are (IMHO) the wrong person for the job. If you are interested, PM me. It may taken quite a while to reply, unfortunately.

"Reverse" resource/"Chore" dice

A place to share your rules-lite RPG ideas and designs.

quaffeine
United States of America

"Reverse" resource/"Chore" dice

Post by quaffeine »

Here's a quick mechanic I used during an M20 game played over the last couple weeks. Set in the 1790s, PCs were 0-Level servants in a New Orleans antebellum manor where their employer (to whom they were very loyal) was thought to be in danger. Their main objective was to investigate by speaking with guests and others to try to determine what was going on.

So rather than random encounters, I saddled them with "chore dice." Kind of like reverse resource dice, each occupation had a different one (Footmen were d8, as they mostly hang outside, while Butlers were d4 and always being asked about something).

At the outset, rolling a 1 meant PCs had to stop what they were doing and attend to some menial task (a great way to introduce red herrings, by the way). As the evening went on and became busier, a 1 or 2 would pull them away. I was thinking of having this work like resource dice in that rolling a 1 moved you down to the next smaller die, but for this game I found that simply increasing the target to 1-2 did the trick.

I wanted to toss this out here in case anyone required something to introduce tension without necessarily relying on combat or set encounters. It does mean you need to have a couple of ideas for these menial tasks. For the game last night this worked well to temporarily distract the PCs from their goals, sometimes for worse, sometimes even for better (their distraction leads them to some clue they wouldn't have otherwise found).

1 x

sofge
United States of America

Re: "Reverse" resource/"Chore" dice

Post by sofge »

Could you please review the Resource Dice concept for those of us unfamiliar? Or cite the source so we can go read up on it? From the hints in your post it sounds revolutionary compared to the bean-counting I associate with D&D.

0 x
quaffeine
United States of America

Post by quaffeine »

Hi @sofge,

Yes, so sorry, I should have done that!

But you're right, the idea is to eliminate bookkeeping. Basically, you set a starting die, say a d10, to represent your resource. Whenever you use it, you roll that die, and when you roll a 1 (or other target range), you "move down" to the next die -- a d8 in this example. Next would be a d6, then finally a d4.

Once you roll a 1 (or target range) on the d4, you are out of that resource. You can use this for things like ammunition or rations in the event you want to keep it realistic, i.e. that PCs don't have an infinite amount of these things, while not requiring explicit bookkeeping.

I agree this is a great idea, that I think someone lifted from the old d6 Star Wars game, but I could be wrong (a quick Google search on "rpg resource dice" or "rpg usage dice" will deliver all the results you could want). In any case it's been around for a while, and is in general a very good fit for m20. I just riffed off the concept for a different purpose here... making it basically "resource dice" that account for their free time.

0 x
squirewaldo
United States of America

Post by squirewaldo »

hmmmm this looks very similar to a game I have been playing in during the last few weeks. What are the odds of that???? :lol:

0 x
quaffeine
United States of America

Post by quaffeine »

@squirewaldo, you just rolled a 1!

Time to go muck out the stable stalls!!!!

0 x
squirewaldo
United States of America

Post by squirewaldo »

Yes Master!

0 x