Looking for the Free Microlite20/7x/8x/2020 Rules Downloads?

There are well over 100 free downloads of rules (and more) for Microlite20, Microlite2020, Microlite7x, Microlite 81, and their many variants in the Game Download Library area below. These files can be downloaded without creating a membership on this site.

Update (19 Jun 23):

As I mentioned many weeks ago, maintaining the seldom used Wordpress side of this site became too much of a bother, especially as parts of Wordpress are constantly updating and some those updates break things -- like access to this forum. I'm finally had time to remove it. The forum should stop disappearing from view now.

As many of you know, my wife has had MS for about 20 years now. It has gotten to the stage where helping her takes a lot more of my time that it used to. This means visits to this board have become few and far between. I'm looking for a couple of members willing to help moderate this board. Note that if your idea of good moderation is anything similar the way boards like RPG.net are moderated, do not bother volunteering. Good moderation isn't about forcing your opinions, ideological positions, or biases on members via your power to gag and ban, it is about being helpful to all members (even those you don't like/disagree with), cleaning up after spammers, and enforcing the rules with the lightest hand possible and only doing so when the rules are actually broken. If you are interested in any message board moderation position on any board because of the supposed "power" it will give you, you are (IMHO) the wrong person for the job. If you are interested, PM me. It may taken quite a while to reply, unfortunately.

Ability Checks versus Skill checks

A place to share your rules-lite RPG ideas and designs.

quaffeine
United States of America

Ability Checks versus Skill checks

Post by quaffeine »

Curious on thoughts on using m20 Skill Checks versus "straight" or "raw" Ability Checks. The question e.g. "Strength, or Physical?" has been asked in many sessions in the current campaign (shout-out to @squirewaldo :lol: ), and it's got me thinking on when you might use one over the other.

Specifically, the math that makes be thinking about this is that Skill Checks include that additional bonus (as written in most rulesets, d20 + LVL + Ability Bonus + Skill Bonus vs. DC), while a straight check wouldn't.

For those who use both, what's the difference of using, say, STR compared to Physical as noted above?

0 x

squirewaldo
United States of America

Re: Ability Checks versus Skill checks

Post by squirewaldo »

Hmmmmm. It seems to me that in only a few instances you would use a 'simple ability check' vs a full blown 'skill check'. Not because it is inherently wrong, but because it is confusing (at least to me). There needs to be some justification for NOT just using the skill check. If the only justification is that you don't want it to be too easy, I would suggest increasing the DC (however I do understand that when you get higher level characters the DC may have to be ridiculous when you start adding ability, skill, level, and perhaps an additional modifier, but is that really the case? I suspect a 30 DC is going to be tough for even higher level characters.).

However... there are some instances when a simple ability check is more appropriate. So if the action is more or less a Will Save, I could see how a simple MIND check would be clearer and appropriately more difficult. How about saving for poison? STR. Dodging a trap? DEX. But even with these examples perhaps a skill check would be better or at least no worse? How did you do the Will Save? Could a skill be used in combination? How about the poison, was there knowledge of an antidote that helped reduce the effects? Even dodging a trap could involve physical, subterfuge, or knowledge. And of course increasing the DC when you add the level and the skill.

Part of the fun of Microlite20, IMHO, is that you get to improvise what the Skill Check involves, and how the Character actually does it. There is no one right way of doing any skill check.

Again there is nothing wrong with using a simple ability check vs a skill check (and in fact there are situations where it makes a lot of sense), but I do ask why? How is it better than just using the standard mechanic of the game? In the absence of a reason I would avoid it. Life is complicated enough, why make it more so? I have a hard enough time remembering the rules to my own games I have written.

0 x
squirewaldo
United States of America

Post by squirewaldo »

I think your exorcism during the last game was a great opportunity for a simple or raw ability check. It made it simpler, not more complicated. It made a lot of sense (which skill would be used for that???? and why???). And most important it made it more fun since the process was expedited.

0 x
quaffeine
United States of America

Post by quaffeine »

Yeah, I've been kind of leaning the same way, that "Saves" or "Resistances" are the appropriate use for "straight" ability checks, where anything a PC does intentionally they'd probably want to do with skill (or even Skill).

Since Abilities confer bonus to other stats, I think we've convinced me that only in extraordinary circumstances would a "raw" Ability check be appropriate.

1 x