Looking for the Free Microlite20/7x/8x/2020 Rules Downloads?

There are well over 100 free downloads of rules (and more) for Microlite20, Microlite2020, Microlite7x, Microlite 81, and their many variants in the Game Download Library area below. These files can be downloaded without creating a membership on this site.

Update (19 Jun 23):

As I mentioned many weeks ago, maintaining the seldom used Wordpress side of this site became too much of a bother, especially as parts of Wordpress are constantly updating and some those updates break things -- like access to this forum. I'm finally had time to remove it. The forum should stop disappearing from view now.

As many of you know, my wife has had MS for about 20 years now. It has gotten to the stage where helping her takes a lot more of my time that it used to. This means visits to this board have become few and far between. I'm looking for a couple of members willing to help moderate this board. Note that if your idea of good moderation is anything similar the way boards like RPG.net are moderated, do not bother volunteering. Good moderation isn't about forcing your opinions, ideological positions, or biases on members via your power to gag and ban, it is about being helpful to all members (even those you don't like/disagree with), cleaning up after spammers, and enforcing the rules with the lightest hand possible and only doing so when the rules are actually broken. If you are interested in any message board moderation position on any board because of the supposed "power" it will give you, you are (IMHO) the wrong person for the job. If you are interested, PM me. It may taken quite a while to reply, unfortunately.

Microlite2020?

A place to share your rules-lite RPG ideas and designs.

quaffeine
United States of America

Re: Microlite2020?

Post by quaffeine »

Hey @randalls, looking good so far!

One quick comment: on the OSE edition, you mention that there's 4 stats, but only list 3 (missing CHR).

Maybe you've caught in a more recent draft, but thought I'd toss it out there.

0 x

randalls
Site Admin

Post by randalls »

quaffeine wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:19 pm

Maybe you've caught in a more recent draft, but thought I'd toss it out there.

I have fixed it in the next draft, but thanks for mentioning it (as I often don't catch stuff like that -- I'm a truly bad proofreader). I was originally going to have Charisma as a stat in the OSE version given how important it could be in early editions, but later decided to keep the stats the same in both versions of 2020. Naturally, I did not catch all of the references to CHR.

0 x

RandallS
Playing and Gamemastering Tabletop RPGs Since 1975
Designer: Microlite74, Microlite75, Microlite78, Microlite81, Microlite20 OSS, and others
Compiler: The Microlite20 RPG Collection
Administrator: Rules Light RPGs

Vanya

Post by Vanya »

randalls wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:09 am
Vanya wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:26 am

One thing I noticed right off the bat is that either the Arrays are a bit anemic or the Point-Buy is too OP.
What I did was set up a quick spread sheet to tally up points when using the Point-Buy system.
Then I made a copy in reverse that takes stat values and calculates the amount of points you would need to have to get there.
The results were that the Average Array would only cost 24 points to achieve, and the Heroic Array came in better at 36 points.

I'm not following you. Here what I have for Average Array/Average Point Buy (in Draft 5, however, I do not believe I have changed it from earlier drafts).

Array (Average): Assign 15 to one stat, 11 to another stat, and 7 to the remaining stat.

Point Buy (Average): Characters have 33 stat points Assign these points to the character’s stats with a minimum of 3 and a maximum of 18 in each stat.

The stats in the array add up to 33 (15+11+7 = 33) which is not same number of points players get to assign to stats with the Average Point Buy.

Color me confused on the average array/buy values?

You've caught a typo on the Heroic point buy, however. The points available should be 45 (17+15+13). Now fixed in Draft 5. Thank you!

Glad I helped somehow.
Never mind the rest, I made a mistake and assumed the stats start at 3, not 0.

0 x
randalls
Site Admin

Post by randalls »

Vanya wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:59 pm

Glad I helped somehow.
Never mind the rest, I made a mistake and assumed the stats start at 3, not 0.

Every bit of help is appreciated -- especially in the proofreading department. If I had to make a living from proofreading I be living in a cardboard box and hunting rats for food. I'm truly terrible at proofreading.

1 x

RandallS
Designer: Microlite74, Microlite75, Microlite78, Microlite81, Microlite20 OSS, and others

randalls
Site Admin

Post by randalls »

Here are the next drafts of Microlite 2020 and Microlite2020 OSE. Barring y'all discovering major issues, the design work is done. The next stage is proofreading, text cleanup, etc. In other words, barring major issues the games will be moving from drafts to release candidates.

Major change: I'm officially calling the game Microlite2020. Calling it Microlite 20 2.0 made too many people I've talked to think everyone would need to upgrade from Microlite20 to this "new edition". That's not the intention. Microlite2020 is designed for those who want a version of Microlite20 that has been updated with some of the better ideas to come out of D20-style gaming in the last 10+ years while retaining easy compatibility with 3.x and 5e material. It's not designed as a Microlite20 replacement.

Production note: For both M2020 and M2020 OSE, these drafts are the "Complete" versions -- think Microlite20 Purest Essence. The game will also be available as separate downloads for Core Rules, Optional Rules, Equipment List, Spell List, etc. just are the separate parts are for standard Microlite20.

Attachments
Microlite2020-OSE-Draft03.pdf
(383.89 KiB) Downloaded 334 times
Microlite2020-Draft05.pdf
(212.45 KiB) Downloaded 290 times
0 x

RandallS

Vanya

Post by Vanya »

I think I have one!
It appears that starting HP isn't defined anywhere anywhere implicitly.
From looking at the sample characters, I think that starting HP is supposed to be STR + 1.
Is that correct?

0 x
randalls
Site Admin

Post by randalls »

Vanya wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:54 pm

It appears that starting HP isn't defined anywhere anywhere implicitly.
From looking at the sample characters, I think that starting HP is supposed to be STR + 1.

Close... It's one 1d6+STR. Somehow the second sentence in the Hits Points and Healing section ("First level characters have 1d6 + STR hit points.") got marked as hidden so I would see it in the draft but it did not print. Thanks for pointing this out. It took me almost 2 days to figure out why it was not printing when I could plainly see it on my screen. ::sound of my head hitting my desk...repeatedly::

0 x

RandallS

Vanya

Post by Vanya »

Ah! Wow, that's like what I go through when I have a logic error in the code I write.
Bang-head indeed!

0 x
Vanya

Post by Vanya »

It says:

"+1 to any background"

Can this +1 be applied to a new background that you don't already have? Or is it limited to being used to increase a background you already had from the start?

0 x
randalls
Site Admin

Post by randalls »

Vanya wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:49 pm

It says:

"+1 to any background"

Can this +1 be applied to a new background that you don't already have? Or is it limited to being used to increase a background you already had from the start?

When leveling up? That's really up to the campaign setting and the GM. I'd allow adding a new background if the character had done something in the campaign that made the desired new background seem appropriate. Think of Conan in the REH stories, he acquired backgrounds as he moved about Hyboria doing different things.

0 x

RandallS