Author Topic: Microlite74 When to use saving throws?  (Read 3075 times)

Offline randalls

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: When to use saving throws?
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 06:11:12 pm »
FORT - "physical punishment and attacks against vitality and health" - does this apply to any attack whether magic or otherwise?

REFLEX - "dodge area attacks" - what does this mean?

WILL - "mental influence and magic effects" - does this apply to any magical attack?

These descriptions come from the 3.x SRD and strike me as meaningless. They work if tyou already know how to use them, but are next t useless if you do not.  Unfortunately, they are what people coming from WOTC D&D expect. Personally, I use something closer to the original 0e saving throw system -- which can be found in M74 Companion I on page 5. It looks more complex, but I find it's five categories (Death Ray/Poison, Wand, Paralysis/Turn to Stone, Dragon Breath, and Spell/Staff/Rod) to be easier in practice.

Offline ghart999

• View Profile
When to use saving throws?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 05:56:56 pm »
Hi. Just starting out with M74-Basic and have avoided saving throws till now.

I understand how to calculate the values and how to role for them. The problem is I don't know when I would use them. Are they strictly to help with magic-based attacks?

FORT - "physical punishment and attacks against vitality and health" - does this apply to any attack whether magic or otherwise?

REFLEX - "dodge area attacks" - what does this mean?

WILL - "mental influence and magic effects" - does this apply to any magical attack?

Thank you!!!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 05:05:45 pm by randalls »

* Support This Site

RPGNow.com
Links to commercial products on this site are also generally affiliate links which earn this site a portion of any purchase you make.

Cancer Fund Donations

Support Microlite75 development as well as Microlite74, Microlite78, Microlite81, and this site with a donation to the Retro-Roleplaying Cancer Fund.

Your donations help pay medical bills, get you early access to drafts of RetroRoleplaying.com games like Microlite81 Complete and Fantastic Adventures and give you access to these donor-only PDFs:

- Grimoire Fanzine #1 (1978)
- Grimoire Fanzine #2 (1979)
- Hidden Valley House Rules (1984)
- Fourth Campaign Arn Player Info Packet (1984)
- M74 2.0 Special Edition
- M74 3.0 Extended Special Edition (3 digest volumes)
- M74 3.0 Perilous Adventures

Obtain copies of these (and more) for a donation to help pay our cancer-related bills. Donate $25 or more and you will be listed as a sponsor in Microlite81 Complete game.

Microlite75 Sponsors

RPGNow.com