Author Topic: Microlite74 M74 is awesome; it cannot be fixed. (But we can try.)  (Read 4003 times)

Offline randalls

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: M74 is awesome; it cannot be fixed. (But we can try.)
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 10:14:42 am »
Donated art? Sore, but it would have to be something I could use (block and white line art without a lot of solid shading, for example), fit the game, and I'd need quite a bit of it before I could use it in a game.

Offline Dethklok

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 07:14:58 pm »
Would you accept donated art?

Offline randalls

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 09:25:22 am »
The first thing is more interior art and examples. Now, I do realize that these would take up space. But M74 standard is still under 20 pages (and seven pages are spells!). Even small doodle-sized images slipped into the margins could make the reference not only more evocative but easier to navigate through. And brief examples always make rules easier to understand. Librarylass complained in the other thread about M74 lacking flavor, and the inclusion of even a 1/6 of a page worth of small images and examples would go a long way towards answering that.

First, adding art increases the page count which is against the whole "microlite" idea. Second, as the maximum budget for producing these games is $0, any art would have to be public domain as none could be purchased. Some versions of Microlite74 do have some public domain art. The usual comment it its is "boring." Examples are again something that really isn't "microlite". A few examples will be in Microlite81 Complete, but this will be a 80-120 page book.

The other thing I would have changed would be to include Charisma. I realize Cha is already controversial in this regard, and I see good arguments for or against including it in any given microlite game. But remembering back to early D&D, in oldschool games Charisma was always an interesting wildcard.

Charisma is included in Microlite74 Extended.

Offline Dethklok

• View Profile
M74 is awesome; it cannot be fixed. (But we can try.)
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 05:11:12 pm »
So I noticed another thread about fixing M74. My initial reaction was surprise; even though reading the thread I can see that the title was hyperbole, from where I sit M74 (basic) is the best imaginable D&D.

Generally speaking and overall, I don't like Dungeons and Dragons; my initial attraction to microlite is the "light" aspect of it. But M74 is wonderfully crafted, from the cute cover stating that it is "For 3 or more adults who never grew up, ages 10 to 100" to the final "Notes on Old School Play." From where I sit, M74 is the best D&D that ever existed; better than 0th or any other edition I have ever seen. This is the first time in twenty years that I've looked at anything directly related to Dungeons and Dragons and thought "Hey that's pretty neat!"

Yet really being fair about it, I think there are two things that M74 could use.

The first thing is more interior art and examples. Now, I do realize that these would take up space. But M74 standard is still under 20 pages (and seven pages are spells!). Even small doodle-sized images slipped into the margins could make the reference not only more evocative but easier to navigate through. And brief examples always make rules easier to understand. Librarylass complained in the other thread about M74 lacking flavor, and the inclusion of even a 1/6 of a page worth of small images and examples would go a long way towards answering that.

The other thing I would have changed would be to include Charisma. I realize Cha is already controversial in this regard, and I see good arguments for or against including it in any given microlite game. But remembering back to early D&D, in oldschool games Charisma was always an interesting wildcard. I generally didn't care about a character's Con or Wis very much (except in class contexts; Con for fighters, Wis for clerics) but Cha was always something I wanted to know to help me picture what a character looked like. And I don't think social abilities were relegated to the sidelines by other gamers in the day either, since Unearthed Arcana even introduced a Comeliness statistic. So personally, I think the flavor of early D&D calls for Charisma alongside Strength, Dex, and Mind in M74.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 05:04:57 pm by randalls »

* Support This Site

RPGNow.com
Links to commercial products on this site are also generally affiliate links which earn this site a portion of any purchase you make.

Cancer Fund Donations

Support Microlite75 development as well as Microlite74, Microlite78, Microlite81, and this site with a donation to the Retro-Roleplaying Cancer Fund.

Your donations help pay medical bills, get you early access to drafts of RetroRoleplaying.com games like Microlite81 Complete and Fantastic Adventures and give you access to these donor-only PDFs:

- Grimoire Fanzine #1 (1978)
- Grimoire Fanzine #2 (1979)
- Hidden Valley House Rules (1984)
- Fourth Campaign Arn Player Info Packet (1984)
- M74 2.0 Special Edition
- M74 3.0 Extended Special Edition (3 digest volumes)
- M74 3.0 Perilous Adventures

Obtain copies of these (and more) for a donation to help pay our cancer-related bills. Donate $25 or more and you will be listed as a sponsor in Microlite81 Complete game.

Microlite75 Sponsors

RPGNow.com