Author Topic: So what other old-school games do you all play?  (Read 13423 times)

Offline randalls

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: So what other old-school games do you all play?
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2014, 03:09:18 pm »
But I'm surprised you know about the original version. The new version has the virtue of consolidation and organization, but I don't like the style or format as much as the originals.

A lot of Corgi SF/F books were available at an SF/F bookshop in the San Antonio area in the 1970s and early 1980s.

Offline Dethklok

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2014, 10:06:08 pm »
It's an old game. I only had book 1, but I kept the copy for years, which was a struggle, considering my age - I left it at the park and it got rained on, and then I managed to find it, but then I put it in the oven on low heat to dry it and the pages browned. Gradually the cover started falling off and the pages started to flake, so I kept it tied into a clear VHS tape sleeve.

But I'm surprised you know about the original version. The new version has the virtue of consolidation and organization, but I don't like the style or format as much as the originals.

Offline randalls

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2014, 09:48:16 am »
Dragon Warriors, The Ultimate Role-Playing Game.

I've played the Corgi Books version -- long ago.

Offline Dethklok

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2014, 02:27:36 am »
Dragon Warriors, The Ultimate Role-Playing Game.

"DRAGON WARRIORS is the key to a magic world. A land of cobwebbed forests and haunted castles. A land where dire monsters lurk in the shadows of the night, where hobgoblins shriek across the bleak and misty moors, where wizards and armoured warriors roam dank dungeons in their quest for gold and glory. The realm of your imagination."

Offline Zimzerveran

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2012, 06:34:57 am »
Projects are good. I'd be thrilled to see some homebrew content that wasn't mine.

I intend to put some stuff out when I get the time.  Working full time and going back to college puts the brakes on any fun gaming projects.  :(

But, the semester is nearly done.  I'll try to throw something together after classes end.  I'm not sure what it will be, though!

Offline LibraryLass

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2012, 01:41:55 pm »
Some of the classes, like the Yakuza and Ninja, were poorly conceived and written.  I'll grant you the Bushi and Wu-Jen were just respectively a fighter and magic-user with flavor differences.  But, I think classes like the Samurai, Kensai, Shugenja, and Sohei were interesting, as were the spell lists. 

If I had my way and could re-work Oriental Adventures, I'd change a lot, because a lot has changed in the years since its publication (1985!).  I'd probably remove some classes like the Yakuza and Ninja and replace them with some of the stuff RPG Objects did with their lLegends of the Samurai rules.  Their classes are well-researched and fit the medieval Japanese theme quite well.  The classes include Mahoutsukai, Kenza, Ashigaru, Sekensha, Shukke, Samurai, Ronin, Ninja, Yamabushi, Touzoku, Shokunin, and Kuge.   It's quite a spread. 

Maybe I'm just nostalgic for the great time my group had playing OA?!  And maybe I've found a project for myself...

Projects are good. I'd be thrilled to see some homebrew content that wasn't mine.

Offline Zimzerveran

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2012, 06:45:49 am »
I do like the Shugenja, which in my mind does a good job of occupying a similar role to the cleric while being distinct (and less Christianized, which gripped my interest-- stay tuned) Maybe Samurai/fighter is a little excessive (there can definitely be enough headspace there to do its own thing at least as much as a cavalier or warlord), but I do think a couple of the classes could have just had a note to the effect of "this is just (X PHB class) under another name".

Some of the classes, like the Yakuza and Ninja, were poorly conceived and written.  I'll grant you the Bushi and Wu-Jen were just respectively a fighter and magic-user with flavor differences.  But, I think classes like the Samurai, Kensai, Shugenja, and Sohei were interesting, as were the spell lists. 

If I had my way and could re-work Oriental Adventures, I'd change a lot, because a lot has changed in the years since its publication (1985!).  I'd probably remove some classes like the Yakuza and Ninja and replace them with some of the stuff RPG Objects did with their lLegends of the Samurai rules.  Their classes are well-researched and fit the medieval Japanese theme quite well.  The classes include Mahoutsukai, Kenza, Ashigaru, Sekensha, Shukke, Samurai, Ronin, Ninja, Yamabushi, Touzoku, Shokunin, and Kuge.   It's quite a spread. 

Maybe I'm just nostalgic for the great time my group had playing OA?!  And maybe I've found a project for myself...

Offline LibraryLass

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2012, 11:16:43 pm »
I'll disagree with you on the racist part.  Classes offer a way to showcase the cultural differences in game worlds.  Monte Cook's Arcana Evolved uses Warmains and Champions and Unfettered - all fighter types - to showcase the culture of the Diamond Throne setting.  If a samurai were nothing more than a fighter, we could argue that a ranger is nothing more than a fighter with an interest in hiking or a witch is nothing more than a magic-user with a certain spell list.

I do like the Shugenja, which in my mind does a good job of occupying a similar role to the cleric while being distinct (and less Christianized, which gripped my interest-- stay tuned) Maybe Samurai/fighter is a little excessive (there can definitely be enough headspace there to do its own thing at least as much as a cavalier or warlord), but I do think a couple of the classes could have just had a note to the effect of "this is just (X PHB class) under another name".

Offline Zimzerveran

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2012, 08:44:05 pm »
I've honestly never seen the point. Arguing that a Samurai is somehow inherently different than a fighter or paladin of noble birth, or a Ninja to a Thief or Assassin, always struck me as vaguely racist.
I am a fan of Hengeyokai though.

Edit: That said, a setting that uses Imperial China or Feudal Japan or whatever as a basis is potentially a compelling change of pace from the usual Medieval Europe paradigm, so I'm in favor of it on that practice-- and the different practices of eastern religions are good at inspiring people to do Divine classes that feel a little more different from the Cleric.

I'll disagree with you on the racist part.  Classes offer a way to showcase the cultural differences in game worlds.  Monte Cook's Arcana Evolved uses Warmains and Champions and Unfettered - all fighter types - to showcase the culture of the Diamond Throne setting.  If a samurai were nothing more than a fighter, we could argue that a ranger is nothing more than a fighter with an interest in hiking or a witch is nothing more than a magic-user with a certain spell list. 

Offline randalls

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2012, 07:38:45 pm »
It might be, if you know where to look quite a few of their 3e articles are around. As soon as I'm at home I'll look for it.

If you find it, please let me know. I find the WOTC site all but impenetrable -- especially trying to find older stuff. However, there's no need to spend a lot of time on it.

Offline LibraryLass

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2012, 07:12:22 pm »
Did anybody play any Oriental Adventures?  And by that I'm referring to the 1e AD&D hardback.  We loved it back in the day, and Asian-inspired games are one of my favorite fantasy RPG genres.  I wonder how that would translate into M74?  I might have to play around with that idea once I get some free time.

I've honestly never seen the point. Arguing that a Samurai is somehow inherently different than a fighter or paladin of noble birth, or a Ninja to a Thief or Assassin, always struck me as vaguely racist.
I am a fan of Hengeyokai though.

Edit: That said, a setting that uses Imperial China or Feudal Japan or whatever as a basis is potentially a compelling change of pace from the usual Medieval Europe paradigm, so I'm in favor of it on that practice-- and the different practices of eastern religions are good at inspiring people to do Divine classes that feel a little more different from the Cleric.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 07:14:36 pm by LibraryLass »

Offline Zimzerveran

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2012, 11:18:11 am »
Did anybody play any Oriental Adventures?  And by that I'm referring to the 1e AD&D hardback.  We loved it back in the day, and Asian-inspired games are one of my favorite fantasy RPG genres.  I wonder how that would translate into M74?  I might have to play around with that idea once I get some free time.

Offline LibraryLass

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2012, 04:20:42 pm »
I don't think I ever saw that. I wonder if it still available on their web site somewhere?
It might be, if you know where to look quite a few of their 3e articles are around. As soon as I'm at home I'll look for it.

Offline randalls

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2012, 02:50:56 pm »
Fun stuff. I remember in my 3e days WOTC released a free adventure on their website featuring Santa prominently.

I don't think I ever saw that. I wonder if it still available on their web site somewhere?

Offline LibraryLass

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2012, 02:34:00 pm »
Fun stuff. I remember in my 3e days WOTC released a free adventure on their website featuring Santa prominently.

* Support This Site

RPGNow.com
Links to commercial products on this site are also generally affiliate links which earn this site a portion of any purchase you make.

Cancer Fund Donations

Support Microlite75 development as well as Microlite74, Microlite78, Microlite81, and this site with a donation to the Retro-Roleplaying Cancer Fund.

Your donations help pay medical bills, get you early access to drafts of RetroRoleplaying.com games like Microlite81 Complete and Fantastic Adventures and give you access to these donor-only PDFs:

- Grimoire Fanzine #1 (1978)
- Grimoire Fanzine #2 (1979)
- Hidden Valley House Rules (1984)
- Fourth Campaign Arn Player Info Packet (1984)
- M74 2.0 Special Edition
- M74 3.0 Extended Special Edition (3 digest volumes)
- M74 3.0 Perilous Adventures

Obtain copies of these (and more) for a donation to help pay our cancer-related bills. Donate $25 or more and you will be listed as a sponsor in Microlite81 Complete game.

Microlite75 Sponsors

RPGNow.com