Author Topic: Microlite81 First session and a cleric  (Read 3791 times)

Offline randalls

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: First session and a cleric
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 11:30:59 am »
Anyhow, I really want to run your playtest 'Rules as Written'. It's educational to me as I have been getting back to my B/X & AD&D roots.  I remember when all of these editions came out, carried my books around everywhere, etc. I am going through your rules, constantly cross referencing them with the originals. It's fun and really takes me back.

Going back through the original rules -- carefully -- as well as through the rules of the various B/X retroclones is half the fun of designing Microlite81. :)

When we began this adventure, I was sorta winging it with an adhoc d20 setup.  One student, who roleplays wonderfully, chose a kind of monk character with a bow and some healing skills. He's a bit of a chicken in combat, choosing to flee and shoot from a distance and then heal other players who do all the melee. He rarely uses his hand-to-hand abilities. He clearly likes both shooting arrows and healing, so when he returns this Saturday, I have to sell him on an m81 character conversion. He's conservative and doesn't really like change so I am thinking of going with a kind of elf cleric as a compromise.

The current elf class is a combination of the fighter and the magic-user with elf racial abilities. There are a number of ways you could create a class like you describe.  Probably the easiest one with the current, standard "Microlite81" rules is to use the Elf class from the rules but substitute Cleric stuff for the magic-user stuff (giving you a character that combines fighter, cleric, and elf racial abilities. To do this:

1) Change the Elf's MCB to the Cleric's MCB.
2) In class abilities, replace "Elves can cast arcane spells" with "Elf Clerics can cast divine spells."
3) Drop the section on Magical research.
4) Add the "Turn Undead" from the Cleric.

Use the XP to advance for the standard Elf, it's probably a bit in the high side for this type of Elf Cleric, but it will probably work without too many issues.

Note that the above is just one way to try this.

I am not really skilled at balancing these things. My ad-hoc d20 game swung all kinds of ways. Will a compromise like this break the playtest?

No matter how you do it, its unlikely to break the playtest. Although there is obviously no reason to report rules problems with the Elf Cleric.

Offline mjulius

• View Profile
    • d20 English
First session and a cleric
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 02:41:57 am »
I had my first m81 session with some students [4 total with 1 missing] last Saturday.  They're young [11-14] and just 'get' the game in a way that non-gamer adults sometimes don't.  Example: I tried to rope a small group of factory managers who I teach English to into playing but they insisted that this was for children - a lot of BS when you consider how they throw down on English bingo.

Anyhow, I really want to run your playtest 'Rules as Written'. It's educational to me as I have been getting back to my B/X & AD&D roots.  I remember when all of these editions came out, carried my books around everywhere, etc. I am going through your rules, constantly cross referencing them with the originals. It's fun and really takes me back.

Hang on, I'm getting to a point. ;)

When we began this adventure, I was sorta winging it with an adhoc d20 setup.  One student, who roleplays wonderfully, chose a kind of monk character with a bow and some healing skills. He's a bit of a chicken in combat, choosing to flee and shoot from a distance and then heal other players who do all the melee. He rarely uses his hand-to-hand abilities. He clearly likes both shooting arrows and healing, so when he returns this Saturday, I have to sell him on an m81 character conversion. He's conservative and doesn't really like change so I am thinking of going with a kind of elf cleric as a compromise.

I am not really skilled at balancing these things. My ad-hoc d20 game swung all kinds of ways. Will a compromise like this break the playtest?

Regards,

Michael 'usually not so long-winded' Julius
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 05:13:04 pm by randalls »

* Support This Site

RPGNow.com
Links to commercial products on this site are also generally affiliate links which earn this site a portion of any purchase you make.

Cancer Fund Donations

Support Microlite75 development as well as Microlite74, Microlite78, Microlite81, and this site with a donation to the Retro-Roleplaying Cancer Fund.

Your donations help pay medical bills, get you early access to drafts of RetroRoleplaying.com games like Microlite81 Complete and Fantastic Adventures and give you access to these donor-only PDFs:

- Grimoire Fanzine #1 (1978)
- Grimoire Fanzine #2 (1979)
- Hidden Valley House Rules (1984)
- Fourth Campaign Arn Player Info Packet (1984)
- M74 2.0 Special Edition
- M74 3.0 Extended Special Edition (3 digest volumes)
- M74 3.0 Perilous Adventures

Obtain copies of these (and more) for a donation to help pay our cancer-related bills. Donate $25 or more and you will be listed as a sponsor in Microlite81 Complete game.

Microlite75 Sponsors

RPGNow.com